Thursday, May 1, 2008

A garden for those of us with a black thumb...

My boss got this new nifty gadget for Christmas that enables you to grow edible plants indoors with a few simple do-and-go tasks. It's called the AeroGarden. Now I'm not one to fall for infomercial gimics, but the more she talked about this amazing thing, the more I wanted one. I read blog discussions on it, got her input on how she liked it, and even saw the infomercial for it on TV. After months of trying to reason with myself that this would be useful, I finally broke down and bought one from Amazon. It uses two halogen light bulbs, water, air and nutrient tablets to grow a variety of plants such as lettuce, cherry tomatoes, peppers, petunias, and my favorite, fresh herbs.

I often come across a recipe that calls for the use of fresh herbs and we all know that fresh taste better than dried herbs, but buying them from the grocery store can be prices and I NEVER use but a few pieces and the rest always goes bad. When we first bought our house, I tried growing herbs outside in a large pot, but they ended up dying. I also tried growing them inside on my kitchen window sill, but they also died. The AeroGarden is now my savior! I've got a variety of herbs growing and I've only messed with the thing maybe 3-4 times since I've had it. It tells me when I need to add water or nutrients and it does the rest of the work for me.
Was it worth the $170? I'm still not sure on that yet, but so far so good! The herbs grow SO fast and smell wonderful. I would say that this would be perfect for someone with a small living space or apartment, where you don't have land for gardening.
I'll probably stick with just growing herbs for now, but next year I might try out the Garden Master's kit and start my own seedlings for the garden.

No comments: