Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our New Addition

I was in the bathroom one day picking up newspapers (don't ask) and happened to flip through the classified section. I saw a great big ad for cocker spaniel puppies and suddenly my maternal instincts kicked in and I had the sudden need to go out and get a puppy. Jeff probably thought I was crazy, but he said if I really wanted a puppy, we could get one. I was on the fence...it would be a lot of work considering we have 2 dogs and a rabbit already, a preschooler, we both work full-time, and I'm in school part-time. But I REALLY wanted one. So all last week I looked at puppies online. Then the guilt kicked in. Why are you going out to buy a puppy from a breeder when there are so many homeless animals out there. "You should adopt a dog" said my co-worker. I came up with so many excuses why I didn't want to. Then I changed my mind. A cat wouldn't be as much work and I still mourn the loss of my sweet kitty Thomas (long story, he's still alive, just has another owner now) so Jeff and I would both really like to have another cat plus we could easily adopt one.

So today, on a whim, we went out to PetSmart in Short Pump where C.A.R.E. was having an adoption event and we adopted Kashi. She is between 6-9 months old and we got to speak with her foster mom who told us all about her sweet demeanor. Her foster mom had named her "Sugar" but it wasn't fitting.



She's been really good since we got her home despite our idiot cocker spaniel (world's dumbest dog, but gotta love him) irritating the living crap out of her. She's purring up a storm and exploring everything. Very affectionate too.

The only thing we know about her history is that she comes from Caroline County, where her owned dropped her off because they didn't want her. She's spayed and is good with her litter box and she's so sweet. I don't know why anyone would just drop off their animal because they no longer wanted them, but that's sort of the story behind our Pug as well and both are such wonderful animals. Jeff said that my need for a little extra estrogen should be fulfilled now (2 male dogs, husband and son = way too much maleness!)

Oh I also dyed my hair red today (needed a perk to my drab medium brown). Today is full of positive changes!

No comments: